Tuesday, April 24, 2012
My book is not a book. . .
So this post is actually going to be about writing (shocking)! More specifically, Writer's Block - seeing as how this is about the only connection I've had to writing in a little over a month (except for a few poems - one of which I wish I had had more time to perfect before I gave it to a certain someone...ooops). Anyway, this is how my Writer's Block usually goes, and so I present to you
Writer's Block : A Day in the Life Of
Intentions: I'm going to wake up really early in the morning so that I can get a head start on Writing.
Reality: Alarm goes off, the snooze button is hit repeatedly so that I end up getting up about normal time (on weekends). Realizing that I'm already running behind, I turn on the TV and find Kitchen Nightmares. I watch it for a couple hours and then realize "Okay, I'm really not doing anything productive other than making myself wish I could cook."
*Gets off couch and goes upstairs to sit at computer.
Intentions: Sit here, with wifi button turned off until I write something.
Reality: After about ten minutes, I turn the wifi back on and get onto Facebook and stalk people who have way more interesting of lives than I do. After browsing around there for about an hour, I again scold myself into doing something else that can be considered productive.
*Leaves computer and picks up a book*
Intentions: This book will give me some inspiration to write and I'll see that it's possible and that I can do it.
Reality: After reading a chapter or two of a book, I find myself close to tears thinking to myself "OH MY GOD. I SUCK! MY WRITING WILL NEVER BE LIKE THIS! MY BOOK ISN'T A BOOK! IT'S A WORD DOCUMENT AND IT DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO COMPARE TO ANYTHING I READ - NO MATTER HOW CRAPPY THE BOOK IS!"
*Although rather upset, I continue to read because, let's face it, the book I'm reading is more interesting than the one I'm writing and reading the one that's already written is a lot easier than forming a plot line, developing characters, and trying to throw some literary elements in there somewhere.*
A couple hours later you realize it's getting late. You remember that night time is your peak writing hours, so you sit back down at your computer.
Intentions: Make yourself write and just pretend to feel inspired.
Reality: Hello, Facebook.
But hey, writing statuses and comments still counts as writing.
. . . right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
Hanna--I was cleaning out our computer desk and found your website scribbled on a piece of paper and decided to visit you. I'm glad that you're still reading/writing! I have always been a reader-I think it's the best hobby. I am in a book club and we have been reading some interesting (and some not quite so interesting) books. We read The Hunger Games earlier this year then I saw the movie with Grace.
Keep up the good work! Mrs. F
@Mrs. F, that's funny! Grace was telling me about your guys' book club in writing class last semester. I miss having time to read as much as I used to haha. Thanks! :)
Post a Comment