Uta Hagen--

"We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre."

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Finding the Time to Write



Today's post is actually a bit ironic seeing as though it's something I really struggle with.  Writing is sometimes very hard to fit into a schedule, especially when it's not your primary responsibility.  Being in school, I find it really hard to write most days.  If homework isn't taking up my whole evening, by the time I'm done with my homework, I don't really want to write - the same way I often don't want to sit and read after doing homework.  So what is a girl left to do? 

Sometimes, I literally just have to sit down and force myself to write.  However, these sessions usually result in absolute crap in the form of a word document.  But sometimes it's the only way to push through and get through the terror that is the first draft.

And I like that I'm writing about procrastination in writing when I'm only three weeks into this and I'm already missing deadlines.

Anyway, so basically I just have to use ANY time I can find to write.  Study hall when I have nothing else to do -  I actually hand write it(!) - and if I have a couple of minutes here and there to add anything to my word document (which is almost always open). 

Long story short:  Write when you can.  If you have breaks from work, use those to their full advantage.  I know, life gets busy when your only break is a weekend.  Trust me, I know.  But luckily, as a student, I have three free months to write.  Unless, you know, I actually get a job.  Think my parents will accept writing as my occupation for the time being? :) 

See ya next Tuesday!

No comments: