Uta Hagen--

"We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre."

Monday, September 21, 2009

Fit...


I've been thinking about coming up with a new title for my novel for a while now. No Title really does fit, so don't just think I was just planning on using that because I was too lazy to come up with a new one. But a few people have been telling me I need to change a few things...

1) The title
2) Edward's name
3) Hallie's last name

Just right off the bat:

Now, I'm the first to admit that my novel needs a LOT of changing, and I appreciate the input. But let's address these issues separately.

Firstly, the title. No Title has grown on me, but is it appealing to anyone else? Depends on the reader--as always. However, I've come up with a list of 13 titles, none of which are right. It just doesn't sound right if I said, "I wrote a book called Still" Or whatever, you know? A title sometimes just 'fits' (and I'm usually good at that) but for some reason, it's just really hard for me to find that perfect title for it.

Secondly, Edward's name. Something that I will only change as a last resort. Here's the story of how I came across Edward's name. Obviously, at the time I began writing, I was almost done with Twilight, so I used Edward as a 'fill-in name' until I could find something more permanent, if I even kept with the writing. The problem was--I kept writing and never changed his name. Since that time, I've become interested in names and their meanings. On a Website it told me the name Edward means "Rich guard" which totally fits my Edward. He's rich, and he guards Hallie in ways Hallie can't even understand. Edward was also a popular name in 1899 (the year he was born) in England. It totally fits, and it's just another one of those things I've tried to change, but nothing else 'fits'. So I will only change Edward's name if it is advised by an agent and/or publisher. If it ever gets that far.

Finally, Hallie's last name. When I began writing Hallie's last name was Leadford, which is really close to my last name. So the whole first draft that was her last name. It wasn't until recently that I changed it to Pearson. Hallie Pearson. This was something I was willing to change, but it took me a long time and a lot of research to find the last name that 'fit'.

But finally I did, and I guess that's what I need to remember. Eventually, I'll find it. (Eventually is also a title I've considered.)

Have a wonderful and blessed day!
With eternal love and blessings,
Officially Inspired

No comments: