Uta Hagen--

"We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre."

Friday, June 25, 2010

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

The eighth book I read this year was “The Book Thief” by Marcus Zusak. I bought this book when I went to D.C. when I went through the Holocaust Museum gift shop. However, I didn’t have the chance to read it until I had to for class.


From the first page, I was entranced. “Here’s a small fact: You are going to die.” I mean, what an interest grabber that is! And the fact that this story is narrated by death made me really enjoy it! WWII along with the Holocaust created a lot of work for Death - and he wasn’t too happy about it.

This novel gave me a different perspective of the era. Usually, I just always saw it from a Jew’s point of view - and that (of course) was always depressing. But the fact that Liesel isn’t the Jewish person in the scenario, allowed me a different view of the time period. In a way, I liked the fact that the main character wasn’t a Jew because it allowed me to see what was going on outside of the camps and what other peoples’ opinions of Jews were.

I absolutely adored Hans, Liesel’s foster-father. He immediately accepted his new daughter and helped her get through her brother’s death and her separation from her mother. Rosa, Liesel’s foster-mother was also well loved by me, even if she was tough and didn’t show love to Liesel in the usual way.

There was a bit of a romantic element between Liesel, Max (the Jew in her basement), and Rudy (Liesel’s best friend). However, I was expecting a bit more…and I’m not exactly sure why.

The symbolism of words in this story was outstanding! I have no idea how Marcus Zusak came up with the idea! It’s just amazing and he never lets you lose focus on it.

There were definitely slow parts - but I think that happens in every story. However, I didn’t really mind this because there were also times where I couldn’t put it down! The ending was a mix of both - but definitely not because it was slow, but because I didn’t want it to end like it was, but at the same time I loved how it finally ended. I really didn’t want it to end. I’m still a bit confused about the ending, but I really like to think that it ended like I think it did. J

I rate this book 5/5 stars. Definitely read this book!

With eternal love and blessings,
Officially Inspired

p.s. Sorry for the delay - I know I finished this book a while ago.
p.s.s. Did you know that I’m going to write a holocaust book? I’m excited to get started. Don’t know when I will though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll make sure I check it out, next time I'm at the book store.