Uta Hagen--

"We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre."

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

The sixth book that I read this year was Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor.  I finished this novel quite some time ago, and I apologize for the delayed review.

To me, this novel started off really slowly.  And any book that starts off slowly, I have a hard time getting into it unless something happens that really proves to me that this book is amazing.  Unfortunately, I didn't feel this book did that.  For some reason, and I don't say this lightly or without hesitation, I didn't really care for the book.

Although, I will give credit where it is due.  The storyline was very accurate and informative about the time in American history where segregation was a big problem.  The characters were believable and I could imagine them going through the time period and reacting the way they were.  I could also see a lot of similarities between me and each of the characters - Even Mr. Morrison.

A bit of a downside, I was really confused when it came to the land issue.  I know that sharecropping was a main source of income back then and that having your own land was very much in your favor.  However, I didn't quite understand why there was so much backstory to the land.  Except for possibly the ending, showing the true sacrifices made.  To me, this book wasn't a happy book, but it wasn't sad enough to make for an "Oh my goodness I can't put this down" kind of book.  A lot of the characters, too, although they may be round, I didn't understand why they made the choices they did and why the made the actions they did.

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: