Uta Hagen--

"We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre."

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Release Day! + A Rant

I just want to take a quick moment to say HAPPY RELEASE DAY to BEST SELLING AUTHOR LEANNA RENEE HIEBER!  (I'll have more info and pictures from the release party sometime later in the week.)

Now, I need to rant, because there is a topic that my history teacher is bringing up a lot in class lately and it's really starting to bug me.  *That it's happening, not that he's bringing it up.*  It's about people protesting at soldier's funerals with signs saying "Thank God for dead soldiers" and other really rude signs.  How could CHRISTIANS do this?  Yeah, that's right CHRISTIANS.  The protestors are from a Babtist Church in Kansas.  Aren't we, as Christians, supposed to support each other and love each other and help each other through the hard times?  How could they do it?

Perhaps what bothers me the most about this is that it's not even the war they're protesting.  They're protesting that the Army allows gay people to be in the service.  So...what?  Gay people can't defend our country just as well as strait people?  And I know what you're thinking, well, this one soldier was probably gay.  No.  The dad of the soldier took the case all the way to the Supreme Court and his son wasn't even gay.  Now, I know that a lot of Christians don't support gay relationships, but my question has always been, WHY DON'T WE?  I know that God made relationships to be between a man and a woman, but can you really help what your heart feels?  I mean, say you have a piece of pizza (someone of the opposite sex) and you're happy with it, you can laugh together and all that, but there's that piece of chocolate cake (someone of the same sex) and they just fulfil you more.  Who would you choose to be with?  Now, I'm not saying that if you like chocolate cake over pizza you have to be gay.  That was just my lame attempt at symbolism. 

But seriously, how can these Christian people stand infront of a funeral *of someone who died defending THEM* and hold up signs saying such rude and horrid things such as "You're going to hell"? 

I can't imagine being the parent of the soldier and having to go through this.  It's like you have to relive it everyday and I doubt he's ever had a chance to go through the grieving process.  I don't think it's fair and I hope that the Supreme Court rules in the dad's favor and sues that Church for everything they're worth because they are doing a disgrace to God.  God wouldn't want his children to do such things, and I wonder if they've thought of that.  God may not want you to be gay, but I somehow doubt he'd want you protesting at a funeral for a service man.  (By the way, notice how young that kid is in the picture above.  Seriously?)

I can honestly say that if something were to happen and this was someone in my family, the police couldn't hold me back from them.  I don't think I could do much damage to them, but I'd definitely give them a piece of my mind.  This goes way beyond first amendmant rights.  This is an invasion of privacy and your freedom of speech should be taken away for this.  (Because you'd have to be in jail)

Oh, and one more thing.  So what if someone's gay?  As a Christian, I can say that I disagree with what a lot of other Christians believe.  I have nothing against gay people.  I think that you have to have a lot of courage to admit that you're gay.  And I think that God will love you no matter what.  

Please take a moment to watch this video about Christians and gay people.  I promise, it's not offending and it really helped me figure things out.
http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=e3badad4c82af4143afb

EDIT: After having experienced losing a cousin to the war in Afghanistan, I am now even more infuriated by these 'people'.  They were scheduled to appear at my cousin's services.  I'm not sure if they were there or not, nobody heard them or saw them.  However, now knowing exactly how it feels to have to say goodbye to such a hero, I can't even believe that these people can stand there with those signs while families and friends are going through the worst hell.  These people have to have feelings, they've had to have lost people they loved before.  Granted, it might not be to war, but they have to know how it feels to lose someone.  Almost everybody knows someone who's in the military and I just can't imagine someone serving our country being related to these people.  I hope that these people realize what they're doing is sinful and very, very painful for families who have lost a soldier, as well as for families of those who are serving.

No comments: