Uta Hagen--

"We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre."

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cleaning and Writing

Okay, so these things are total opposite to me. I love writing, but I hate cleaning. However, what people don't usually see is that these two go hand-in-hand with each other. Allow me to explain.

Writer's Block often hits when you hit a slow point in writing, right? It does for me. When you get Writer's Block, you feel like you need to sit there and force yourself to write. DON'T! That's the WORST thing you can do! If you do that, you'll be able to see/feel/hear how your writing is "forced". It won't turn out as well as it would if you write when your Writer's Block is in remission and your writing flows. But a question that always comes up is "How do I get rid of my Writer's Block?" Now, I'm not going to tell you that there's a quick-fix for Writer's Block--because there isn't. But what my writing mentor JoAnne always tell me to do is...CLEAN.

Don't stop reading yet.

Cleaning helps! I swear it does! Maybe it's just me, but when I sit back down to write a while later, I'm in remission again. I find things when I'm cleaning and I work out scenes in my head.

Another tip I have for you that I will go more in-depth into later is don't sit at the computer for hours or lie around for hours when you want to write. STAY ACTIVE.

Now, I don't mean go out and join a lacrosse team or anything. Just simply keep doing things. Go out for lunch, walk the dog (or cat ;) ) just keep doing things. Just sit down for a short amount of time. You're going to write like a maniac in that amount of time and it'll be better than when you just sit and mope (I don't know if that's spelled right) for hours upon hours. If you're being lazy, your writing will be lazy too.

Have a wonderful and blessed day!

With love and blessings,
Officially Inspired

No comments: